Health Care

Man dies from bacterial infection after eating bad oyster in Sarasota County

Man dies from bacterial infection after eating bad oyster in Sarasota County

The 71-year-old man ate oysters at a Sarasota restaurant and died two days later.

A 71-year-old man died from a bacteria infection after eating raw oysters at a restaurant in Sarasota County, Florida, according to reports. The report also stated that the man had underlying medical issues.

The department did not release the name of the restaurant where the man ate the tainted shellfish.

So far this year, there have been a total of 16 cases of Vibrio vulnificus statewide in Florida with three confirmed deaths. The county did not have any vibrio cases past year but there were confirmed cases and one death in 2016.

Vibrio vulnificus is often mislabeled as flesh-eating bacteria but it is very important to note that it is not flesh-eating bacteria, despite what numerous news outlets are reporting. The particular type of bacterial in question is not considered flesh-eating.

The illness is rare but can cause vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, according to the agency.

Amazon's website crashes as soon as Prime Day sale begins, users report
If you're keen to watch content in 4K though, you'll find lots available as a part of your Prime membership in Prime Video . Some movies and TV shows will also have massive savings for Prime members, at 50% off.

Anyone can get infected with Vibrio vulnificus, but people who have liver disease, cancer, diabetes or HIV are more likely to get an infection.

The illness was caused by Vibrio vulnificus, officials said. "Vibrio vulnificus bloodstream infections are fatal about 50 percent of the time".

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, vibriosis is caused by certain strains of Vibrio bacteria, which lives in salt water and may be present in raw or undercooked oysters.

Oysters, clams, and mussels need to be cooked thoroughly since infection may be contracted through consumption of undercooked shellfish.

Doctors always warn against consuming raw shellfish and swimming in water, if the skin has scratches or other damage.

Suspected cases of Vibrio vulnificus need to be immediately treated with antibiotics to improve their survival.