Global

Toronto landscaper to plead guilty to eight counts of murder

Toronto landscaper to plead guilty to eight counts of murder

Toronto police say a "significant development" is expected in the case of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur on Tuesday.

Police set up a second special task force to look into the disappearances of men in the Gay Village shortly after Mr Kinsman went missing.

McArthur had some sort of relationship with each of his victims, some of which were sexual, Toronto Police spokeswoman Meaghan Gray said past year.

In a packed courtroom, Bruce McArthur's eight guilty pleas marked the beginning of the end of a saga that has haunted Toronto's LGBT community for years.

Police believe McArthur had a sexual relationship with each victim, and a lot of them were of South Asian or Middle Eastern heritage, ranging in age from 37 to 58.

Authorities also located a calendar belonging to McArthur's boyfriend which had the entry "Bruce" on the day in June 2017 that he went missing, as well as video surveillance footage of the victim getting into McArthur's van, where a murder weapon was also found.

The 67-year-old landscaper is accused in the deaths of Selim Esen, Andrew Kinsman, Majeed Kayhan, Dean Lisowick, Soroush Mahmudi, Skandaraj Navaratnam, Abdulbasir Faizi and Kirushna Kanagaratnam.

Until then, McArthur will remain in police custody, where he's been kept since his initial arrest last Janaury.

In November 2012, police launched Project Houston to investigate the disappearances of 42-year-old Faizi, 40-year-old Navaratnam and 58-year-old Kayhan.

The charges are related to men who went missing from the gay village between 2010 and 2017.

Hamas rejects Qatar aid to Gaza over Israeli demands
The delayed payment is the third of six planned tranches, totaling $90 million, in connection with the truce. Additionally, Israel halted on Tuesday a previously approved $15 million transfer to Gaza from Qatar .

"I believe that this is the best possible outcome for the families and the community".

"If there were mistakes made or lessons learned, absolutely we should learn from them", he said.

"Terrible things were done", she said.

The admissions bring an end to a mystery of disappearances that have plagued Toronto's gay community, the largest in Canada, for years.

He was charged with two counts of first-degree murder.

February 13, 2018 - Police say excavation at the home's backyard turned up no human remains, but suggest they may "revisit the scene" when the weather warms up.

Prosecutor Michael Cantlon described to the court how McArthur had "staged" the corpses of his victims and photographed them, according to local reports.

Lead investigator Insp. Hank Idsinga said the McArthur probe was the largest forensic examination in the force's history.

Forensic officers scoured McArthur's apartment for four months, moving centimetre by centimetre through the residence with the belief it was an alleged murder scene.

Most of his victims had links to Toronto's Gay Village neighbourhood.