Sudan Suspended from the African Union Following Deadly Protest Crackdown

Sudan Suspended from the African Union Following Deadly Protest Crackdown

"The civil disobedience movement will begin Sunday and end only when a civilian government announces itself in power on state television", the SPA said in a statement.

The Sudan Doctors' Central Committee, one of the protest groups, said at least 113 people had been killed and more than 500 wounded since Monday.

He also said that an interim government would be created to rule the country until the elections.

The Saudi statement came as Sudanese opposition representatives rejected an offer of renewed dialogue from the Transitional Military Council, and the death toll from Monday's attack on the protesters' sit-in outside army headquarters in Khartoum rose to 100 when 40 bodies were found in the Nile River.

An Associated Press journalist saw heavy deployment of troops from the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in several parts of Khartoum and its sister city of Omdurman.

In the town of Madani, south-east of the capital, people were seen queueing outside closed bakeries while the main market was also shut.

The health ministry says 61 people died nationwide in the crackdown, 52 of them by "live ammunition" in Khartoum.

Demonstrators have since been occupying the square in front of the military headquarters.

Sudan has been rocked by unrest since December, when anger over rising bread prices and cash shortages broke into protests against Bashir that culminated in the military removing him, ending his three decades in office during which the country became a pariah state in Western eyes.

ABC offices raided by Australian police
The ABC has vowed to protect its sources even as the federal police raid was continuing at the broadcaster's offices in Ultimo . Prime Minister Scott Morrison distanced himself from the raids, saying they were a police matter.

"The peaceful resistance by civil disobedience and the general political strike is the fastest and most effective way to topple the military council. and to hand over power to a transitional civilian authority", the SPA said.

BBC World Service Africa editor Mary Harper says the latest move suggests that the mediation efforts by Abiy Ahmed have indeed not been taken seriously by the military.

"By using violence as an imperative, it [the military] left the civic society no option but to go through with civil disobedience".

Other victims of the brutality were forced to drink sewage water and were urinated on.

The internet has nearly completely shut down across the country since Monday, and RSF personnel have fanned out across the Khartoum, accused of regularly and randomly attacking passers-by, while in recent days eyewitnesses have reported an increase in unknown gangs stalking the streets. "We do not know their whereabouts", an airport worker said on condition of anonymity, fearing reprisal.

There were reports of sporadic violence on Sunday.

The Sudanese Congress party said Saturday, meanwhile, that security forces arrested an opposition figure and two rebel leaders.

Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed was heading to Khartoum on Friday to try to mediate between the two sides, Reuters news agency reported, quoting diplomatic sources.

Gen Burhan said there would be "no restrictions" in talks with the leaders behind months-long street protests, adding that those responsible for the violent break-up of the sit-in in the capital Khartoum would be held accountable.